Another try at refashioning.
Starting point: 99-cent orange sweater.
Cut up the front ( I like to measure the middle in several places, pin and then cut. I know I am going to be even that way.)
Then I added wide bias tape to both sides.
Sleeves next–measure the length against a shirt I liked, leaving room for a ruffle.
Then cut the sweater.
Add a ruffle. I used a piece WOF (Width Of Fabric) and three inches wide. Cut it half it made the ruffle for both sleeves. I surged the edges, gathered and attached by sewing rights sides together on the outside and then turning it down.
And adding rickrack.
Now that the sleeves were done, I could go back to the front. I made some more wide single-fold bias tape style stuff and attached it to the front, leaving about 1/4″ of the brown bias tape showing.
That wasn’t quite enough, so it got some lace, too.
Ta-dah! A re-sweater.
Finished (at least so far) product! It feels like it needs a closure of some kind, but I have tried a hook and eye, button and belt and none made me happy. Maybe it will just be left like this.
A few of the ruffles were bent the wrong way as I had just removed my coat coming home from church. Husband is sometimes an impatient photographer, especially when food is waiting. 🙂