Not much sewing the past two days, because it is time for THE BIG CLEAN.
What is the Big Clean?
Well, because children acquire clutter at the most astonishing rate, once a year we do a Big Clean on their rooms, usually the first week after school gets out.
(Here is Young Son’s BEFORE)
1. Empty room to the bare walls.
Again, Young Son’s DURING. This is the really ugly part.
2. Wash, dust, scrub, vacuum.
3. Dump every drawer, box, etc.
4. Replace all large pieces of furniture, usually rearranging just so it feels fresh.
4. Sort every item–every pair of socks, each little toy, all the books…you get the idea.
5. Make a list of truly needed items–replacing outgrown things, or storage needs.
6. Decide where each item goes: back in the room, to a different location, (it is amazing what migrates around the house), to charity, trash.
7. Step back and admire.
Young Son’s nearly AFTER. About 95% done.
It is two long days (one for each child at home). If I were a really good woman, I would do the whole house every year. But, the children’s rooms get it every year and the rest of the house, I try for every other year. But the storeroom and the garage haven’t been done properly since we moved in 8 years ago. Scary!
Hopefully, back to some sewing today.