Whether you use scraps or a charm pack, make one bag or a bevy of party favors, this tutorial makes handy little bags quick and fun!
TUTORIAL: DRAW-STRING BAG FROM 5″ SQUARES
4 5″ squares of fabric
a ribbon or string about 12-14″ long
a small safety-pin (for threading the string through the bag)
1. With right sides together, and using a 1/4″ seam allowance, sew around three sides of the lining fabric.
2. With right sides together, and using a 1/4″ seam allowance, sew around three sides of the outside fabric, EXCEPT, on one side near the top. Stop and backstitch when you are 3/4″ from the top, skip 1/4″, then backstitch and finish stitching the last 1/2″ to the top. Hopefully the picture helps.
3. Turn down 1/4″ allowance on the top of the two fabric pockets. The lining allowance should be turned to the outside. The outside should be turned right side out and the allowance turned down to the inside. Again, hopefully the picture helps.
4. Put the lining inside the outside, lining up the side seams. Pin. Topstitch all the way around very close to the edge.
5. Stitch all the way around again, this time 3/8″ from the top edge. Now, if all measurements in the world were accurate, it should be 1/2″, but somehow it turns out 3/8″ for me. I imagine because of the folds. But, check where your hole is, that space you left un-stitched, and make sure it is between these two seams.
6. Stitch all the way around AGAIN, this time 5/8″ from the top edge. You have just formed your drawstring casing.
7. Using the little hole you left in the stitching of the outside, and with the help of your small safety-pin, thread the string or ribbon through the casing.
8. Tie off and draw the string. Ta-dah! One handy draw-string bag. Ready for use. Good for buttons, of course, but also jewelry, party favors, retreat treats….Please, let me know how this tutorial works for you and what you use your bags for. Enjoy!