Yesterday I was at the thrift store and found a pair of jeans (miracle) and a belt. And, this cute little dish.
It came home with me (for 69-cents) to try out an idea. I have seen similar projects at various times, but here is a description of how I made mine (minus pictures, because I was too focused on the idea to tend to details. Naughty blogger.)
1. Cut a circle of fabric about 3 times the diameter of the bowl. My bowl is about 4-1/2″ and the circle of fabric was about 11″, but a bigger piece of fabric would have been better.
2. Do a large, running stitch around the perimeter of the circle. Use sturdy thread, you are going to gather it.
3. Stuff it REALLY full of fiberfil; use more than you think you need.
4. Pull your gathers tight and shape to fit the bowl. It will be a puffy cushion.
5. Use one or more buttons to finish the top. Run thread through at least twice and pull it tight to tuft the cushion.
6. Find a handy matching piece of trim. I used crocheted lace. Hot glue it to the perimeter of the cushion.
7. Settle the cushion into the bowl and hot glue in place. Ta-dah!
The whole project took about an hour. Christmas 2013, here I come!