After all that cutting it is time to reward yourself with some sewing. This month we are making the star block centers–those 16 patches.
Again, depending on the size of quilt you are making, you will need to choose your preferred number of blocks and get stitching!
If you are just joining us, check HERE for directions and information on this quiltalong.
The rest of you should have chosen a size to make. SMALL–a throw that uses 5 stars and four alternating blocks. Finished size about 48″ square; MEDIUM–This is the size I am making this time. It uses 13 stars and 12 alternating blocks. Finished size about 72″ square; LARGE: This is the size of the original Calico Rose. It uses 25 star and 24 alternating blocks. Finished size 96″ square.
1. This time all you need are 2″ squares. All that cutting from last month is being put to use.
1. We are making the centers of the star blocks. They are 16 patches. Simple construction. Just choose 16 squares. Depending on your color scheme, you might just grab and stitch, or you might want to lay them out first.
Being slightly obsessive (who? me?) I lay out.
2. Sew them together. I like to join squares into rows and then (after making sure my seam allowances go in opposite directions) sew the rows together.
3. Press everything out nice and flat and congratuate yourself on a finished square.
4. Repeat as necessary. If you are making a small quilt, build five of these. If a medium, you will need 13. If a large, 25 is the magic number.
Well done! Let me know how your quilt is coming along. The next set of directions (cutting AND sewing this time) will be out about May 10.
Thanks for joining in.