This is the first of a series of five Quilty Name Tag Tutorials shared here on Wedding Dress Blue.
Remember that you are working SMALL. Accuracy is critical to success. Also, I am not perfect, or perfectly clear. Ask questions and I will try to help and improve.
PINWHEEL QUILTY NAME TAG
3-1/2″ x 4-1/2″
2 2″ squares–color 1
2 2″ squares–color 2
4 2″ squares background fabric
1 1-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ strip background fabric
1 3-1/2″x4-1/2″ fabric for backing
1 3-1/2″x4-1/2″ medium to heavy weight interfacing
1 2-1/4″ x 18″ (or longer) strip for binding
- 1. Using the colored squares and the background squares, create Half Square Triangles. I like this method–draw a line across the diagonal, stitch on either size, cut along the line. Press Open.
- Square up to 1-1/2″. Really. It might only seem like you are trimming off a tiny bit, but tiny bits matter when you are working on this scale.
- Lay out each pinwheel. Stitch together. Press.
- Attach the 1-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ strip of background fabric to the bottom. Yep, I know the dark blue one doesn’t meet quite right. I didn’t look so bad when I was building it. It is a little embarrassing now, but I don’t have time to redo it today. We’ll call it a character-building-humility-opportunity.
- Layer the top, interfacing and backing.
- Stitch in the ditch across the dividing line between the pinwheels and the bottom strip–just to stabilize.
- Bind. I was unable to make a suitable invisible join because of the small scale, so I just folded the edges over. If you have a better idea, please let me know.
- This was my first attempt at machine binding. Therefore, I am not showing the back of this. Let’s just say it is good that it is the back. BUT, I like how fast it was and handstitching against the interfacing wasn’t working. You could even just hot glue it down, which is what I did to fix a few really bad parts.
- Add your name–embroidery, machine embroidery, Sharpie marker, whatever.
- Attach a hanger as you wish–You can use a pin back, a large safety pin or create a matching lanyard. Whatever works for you.
- Wear it proudly at your next guild meeting or quilt show that you attend!
PINWHEEL QUILTY NAME TAG GALLERY
your beautiful creation here…