This is the fourth in a series of five Quilty Name Tag Tutorials shared here on Wedding Dress Blue.
The shapes aren’t hard, even though they are SMALL, and no paper piecing is required! Just take your time and enjoy the process.
HEARTS QUILTY NAME TAG
3-3/4″ x 5″
2 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ for heart #1
2 1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ for heart #2
4 1-1/2″ squares background fabric
8 3/4″ squares background fabric
1 1″ x 2-1/2″ strip background fabric
1 1-3/4″ x 5″ strip background fabric
1 3-3/4″x 5″ fabric for backing
1 3-3/4″x 5″ medium to heavy weight interfacing
1 2-1/4″ x 18″ (or longer) strip for binding
(Whoops! I had started to sew one heart together and then I took the picture–pretend it is just right, OK?!)
- Attach a 1-1/2″ background square to the bottom of each half of a heart unit (1-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ colored piece) by stitching across diagonally. Make sure the diagonal lines will meet in the middle to form the point at the bottom of the heart shape.
- Then, attach a 3/4″ background square to the top of each heart piece by stitching diagonally. Make sure the stitches angle down and out, as shown below. This will form the “bump” at the top of each half of the heart.
- Trim off the outer triangles 1/4″ from the stitching.
- Press open.
- Slowly and carefully, lining things up as best you can, stitch the heart halves together.
- Create a strip using one heart unit, the 1″ x 2-1/2″ background fabric strip, and the second heart unit.
- Attach the 1-3/4″ x 5″ background piece to the bottom of your hearts unit.
- Layer the top, interfacing and backing.
- Stitch in the ditch across the dividing line between the hearts and the bottom background piece–just to stabilize.
- Bind. I was unable to make a suitable invisible join because of the small scale, so I just folded the edges over near the center of the bottom of the name tag. If you have a better idea, please let me know.
- Add your name–embroidery, machine embroidery, Sharpie marker, whatever.
- Attach a hanger as you wish–You can use a pin back, a large safety pin or create a matching lanyard. Whatever works for you.
- Wear it proudly at your next guild meeting or quilt show that you attend!
HEARTS QUILTY NAME TAG GALLERY
your beautiful creation here…