Today is the wrap up for Quilty Name Tag Week. This is the final of five tutorials that have been featured here on Wedding Dress Blue.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing a number of new ideas. Please remember to share the ones you make and the adventures you go on together.
CHECKERBOARD QUILTY NAME TAG
3-3/4″ x 4-1/4″
15 3/4″x3/4″ squares–various colored fabrics
1 1-1/2″ x 4-1/4″ strip background fabric
1 3-3/4″ x 4-1/4″ fabric for backing
1 3-3/4″ x 4-1/4″ medium to heavy weight interfacing
1 2-1/4″ x 18″ (or longer) strip for binding
- Arrange the 15 1-1/4″ squares in a 3×5 grid.
- Assemble. I recommend doing it by rows or columns and “nesting” the seams by pressing them in opposite directions before stitching them to one another. Once the entire unit is assembled, consider pressing the final seams open to reduce bulk.
- Attach the 1-1/2″ x 4-1/4″ background piece to the bottom of your checkerboard unit. Layer the top, interfacing and backing.
- Stitch in the ditch across the dividing line between the checkerboard and the bottom background piece–just to stabilize.
- Bind. I was unable to make a suitable invisible join because of the small scale, so I just folded the edges over near the center of the bottom of the name tag. If you have a better idea, please let me know.
- Add your name–embroidery, machine embroidery, Sharpie marker, whatever.
- Attach a hanger as you wish–You can use a pin back, a large safety pin or create a matching lanyard. Whatever works for you.
- Wear it proudly at your next guild meeting or quilt show that you attend!
CHECKERBOARD QUILTY NAME TAG GALLERY
your beautiful creation here…