After tracking my sewing/quilting expenses in 2017, I decided to do it again this year. The purpose wasn’t to spend more or less, but, rather, simply to know what I spent, and on what things.
This year I completed 23 quilts.
Total amount spent: $1437.02.
Quilting (including batting) was again the largest expense, about 60% of the total.
I spent more on fabric this year, but used more than I bought.
What am I spending per quilt?
I totaled up all the inches of quilts completed for the year (NOT including tops waiting to be quilted–those will be part of 2019). The items completed totaled 73,836 square inches. If I call one square yard (an average baby quilt–or 1296 square inches) a “quilt unit”, that means I completed approximately 56.93 “units.”
SO, the average cost per “unit” is $25.22.
While my completed units went down from last year, the cost per unit did also. Mostly because I did more of my own quilting, did not need to pay for another longarm class and used more fabric than I bought.
Maybe this all seems a little silly, but I wanted to know. And now you know, too.
Happy New Year!
ps–Just for reference, in 2017 I spent $1805.64 on 30 quilts, a total of 64.37 quilting units at $28.05/unit.