SunBonnet Sue

Years ago I received a lovely piece of stitchery in a scrap bag. It is done on authentic feedsack material. You can see where the stitches were picked out and some printing on the back.

I didn’t know what to do with it.

I shared it on the blog HERE, and a lovely reader created a pattern for those who might be interested.

But the original languished. I set a goal do something with her in 2021. She has probably waited around 80 years for this moment.

The first thing was to wash. Gently. By hand.

That went fairly well. She didn’t fade or run. She had been in a smoking home at some point in the past, and the yellow-brown water than came out was yucky enough I didn’t show that step.

I inquired at a frame shop but wasn’t thrilled with the options they offered. Both very expensive and I wasn’t confident they knew how to handle fragile textile and honor the original maker. I didn’t want it perfect, I wanted to see the work.

So, I took Sue to a thrift store and found a frame that pleased me. Then purchased some black foam board.

I stitched Sue to the foam board from the back using fairly small stitches. Total cost: $7.

The final results are all I hoped for.

14 thoughts on “SunBonnet Sue

  1. How wonderful that you rescued and framed that lovely Sunbonnet Sue block! Thanks so very much for giving us the pattern. I am eager to make a quilt using that pattern.

  2. I love the flowers she is holding – I’ve never seen that before. Interesting to know one can sew through foam board, too. Well done!

  3. I was able to print only the left side of the Sunbonnet Sue block. How can I get the entire block? I would really like to make this quilt. Thanks!

  4. That’s a wonderful end to the story – except it isn’t the end. I’m sure it will be passed down to Sparkle Jane at some point, and the story goes on. It’s a beautiful block.

  5. Perfect! Perfect isn’t always perfect, and your final project is exactly what the piece called out to be

  6. What an excellent treatment for a timeless treasure. When I inherited my great grandmothers “orphan” blocks, depending upon the block (there were a few Sue and Sam blocks) I used them as the center focal point of medallion baby quilts.
    To the best of my knowledge, none of these ancient pre-60s blocks fell apart when being washed.
    Now I wish I’d saved a few to frame as you did.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is nice to hear from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s