Sometimes you have a good idea that doesn’t quite work out. But, it did require effort and fabric and time…you hate to throw it away.
I was fortunate enough to inherit some such items. It appears the original maker was working towards a wonky coin quilt of some kind. Foundation pieced. But a little odd…
First I squared them up and trimmed to a standard size: 5-1/2″ x 46″.
It felt like a border would both make them more stable and give definition. Added 1-1/2″ strip all the way around. Now they are 7-1/2″ x 48″.
Then, because the piecing was already a little wonky, I added strips top and bottom to give that movement to the entire quilt. I started with background fabric cut into pieces 7-1/2″ x 13″. I then cut those into pairs: 3″ and 10″, 5″ and 8″, 7″ and 6″, 9″ and 4″, 11″ and 2″. These were added to the top and bottom of each coin strip. (Only four strips shown in this picture, sorry) That brought the total length of each strip to 60″. Finally, I added pieces 3″x60″ to the sides and between each coin strip. The size was selected by using half the width of the coin section finished (5″ finished /2 = 2-1/2″. Then add the seam allowance of 1/2″.) TIP: When adding components, consider using fractions or multiples of a chosen “base” component. The final result tends to be more balanced and finished feeling.
Total finished size 50″ x 60″.
Quilt and bind.
And a surprise backing–that panel that I didn’t know what else to do with.
Consider how this might work for you on a future quilt. It is fun to take great-ideas-that-didn’t-quite-work and treat them as raw materials. They can be the start (foundation) of a successful quilt.