The blocks are finished and it is moving towards layout.
It is an experiment. I have yet to determine if it is a successful experiment.
In a sudden burst of energy I started several project about Christmas time.
And this one is well in progress.
Hard to believe Finja Sofia is already two months old.
It does a quilter’s heart good to see a quilt used and loved.
It is hard for me to believe, too. But Sparkle Jane is a grown woman and recently engaged.
He is a really good man, and they have been dating for over 1-1/2 years. We like him a lot and feel really good about the arrangement.
Which brings me to my point.
Many have you have watched Sparkle Jane grow up. Others are more recent arrivals. But, all are invited to help make a wedding quilt for them.
It will be based on this pattern: Heart-Blocks-Pattern.pdf (cluckclucksew.com)
And these colors.
Make one block either 4″, 6″, 8″ or 10″ (or more than one if you want to). The block can use one color, or more than one. Bright white background, please.
Let me know you plan to send a block, and I will share the address.
It would be lovely to have the blocks here by about April 1, 2021 to give me time to assemble and finish the quilt.
Thank you. What a lovely way to celebrate, surrounded by the caring and love of myriad quilters.
ps–All blocks will be acknowledged with the maker’s name and location on the (very large) label, if that information is included.
pps–Questions? Suggestions? Do tell!
ppps–Some have requested the paint brands and numbers: VALSPAR GREEN: 5008-4C April Arbor, 5008-4B Cactus Shadow, 5008-4A. VALSPAR BLUE: 4007-6C Deep Twilight Blue, 4007-6B Bountiful Blue, 4007-6A Nostalgia. VALSPAR PEACHY PINK: 2003-4C Snow Pa, 2003-4B Salmon Bisque, 2003-4A Brushed Rose. SHERWIN WILLIAMS CRANBERRY RED: HGSW1031 Cerise, HGSW1032 Adored, HGSW1033 Very Cherry, HGSW1034 Dreaming Pink.
Sparkle Jane spotted it, wadded up in a pillowcase in a scrap bag. It sort of appeared at her shop, snuck in and left without a word. Many mysteries…
And she brought it to me. “Mom, you can do something with this.”
Well, I can try, but what is it?
It appeared to be a fairly large vintage flimsy that had most likely been washed. It was so tangled I couldn’t even flatten it out enough to see what it was.
So it sat for a while. But, while I was home with Covid, it became interesting. What is it really?
I started from a corner on the back. Trimming threads and fixing any popped seams that came up. By the time I was done (the picture is EARLY in the process) it looked like a fairly large long haired cat had taken up residence on the cutting table.
It was STILL too rough to really see, so I turned it over and started pressing. And pressing. And pressing. More than 2 hours of pressing
Sort of flat…
To the quilter. Who did an amazing job. A thick batting helped to absorb the waves in the blocks. SO much stitch-in-the-ditch. So much detail.
And now, it is the centerpiece of the guest bedroom. I look in every time I pass and feel great happiness that it is finally finished. I wish I knew who the original maker was. I would take it back to her and show her that her work was not wasted.
How old is it? There is no polyester in the top as far as I can tell. There is some original feedsack material. 1950s or maybe 1960s…
Next, arrange the 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ rectangles (or groups of rectangles) into sets of 15. This will create a larger strip 4-1/2″ x 30-1/2″.
Then stitch them together.
Only a few steps to go.
Using all possible previously sewn seams makes a difference. Each of those seams feels like a gift from another quilter. Quilts like this stitch us together as much as we stitch them together.
As if life weren’t complicated enough, Husband had hip replacement surgery yesterday, Friday.
Fortunately, the procedure went very well and we are home in less than 24 hours.
We anticipate a speedy recovery, but, in the meantime he needs a few helpful objects so that he doesn’t just have to rely on the helpful wife.
So, this morning I woke up early and made him a caddy for his walker.
Just cut the top out of the top of a pair of jeans. I went between the bottom of the zipper and the crotch to make for an easier seam. Add twill tape to the side belt loops (I just tied it in place) and stitch more twill tape into the corners of the bottom seam.
Ta-dah. A functional caddy with many pockets in less than 30 minutes. YAY!