A while back the Special Education Teacher at our school asked for my help on a project. Some of her students were working on the mathematical principle of “reflection.”
We talked over some possibilities and she settled on an idea. She had the students design “quilt blocks” on paper, showing reflection in shape, placement and color.
And we are taking it one better–she gave me the paper version and I tried to translate them into real fabric blocks (12″). They will go back to the students and be made into small pillows for the students to share with their families to show their learning. Then, of course, take home and enjoy.
Here are two of them–paper version and “translation.”
My daughter, Sparkle Jane, also created a Crayola Quilt for donation.
This is the Sidewalk Quilt pattern by Pippa Patchwork. http://www.pippapatchwork.com/PDF/SidewalkQuilt.pdf
Just simple squares with a geometric all-over quilting design using variegated thread.
The stripey binding and the polka dot back are what really makes it special. Yay for Sparkle Jane!
The Crayola quilt for charity is complete.
It is my fourth attempt at long arm quilting. And you can tell. My lines aren’t confident and some of my points are loopy, but practice is the only way to learn.
I do like the layout and the challenge of working with the fabric as it came. The variety of grey background fabric gives it some texture and the pieced border makes me happy, too.
Overall, I call it a success…isn’t that a synonym for a-project-that-I-learned-from-and-is-now-finished?
I rarely sit down to watch television or even a movie. So, when the necessity of a lot of sitting and watching comes along, it really helps for me to have something to keep my hands busy and me awake. Perhaps it is only me, but too often when I sit quietly for any length of time I am fast asleep, but I didn’t want to be. I wanted to listen (GENERAL CONFERENCE).
So, I prepared and saved quilts to bind. It is the perfect activity–nearly mindless and allowing me to pay attention.
In a single weekend I was able to bind FOUR quilts–the four denim quilts intended for my brother’s children this Christmas.
They were all quilted by Tara, probably some of the last “simple” quilts that I will send out to be quilted. She did a great job, as usual.
What a successful weekend! Full hands and a full heart–here is one favorite thought from the broadcast that stuck with me:
This top is a response to a charitable quilt challenge. You start with 10 fat quarters donated by Riley Blake from their Crayola collection of solids.
Take them home and make…something. I decided on this flying geese series. The top is about 50″ x 60″.
It will be the next one I practice my elementary longarm skills on.
Once finished it will be donated to the Christmas tree jubilee for auction. If I hear how it does I will share the results. For now I am glad to have it to the flimsy stage.
What do you think of quilt challenges? In this case I believe that being forced to “color inside the lines” pushed me to try a design I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. Overall I feel it was a good experience.
Scrappy quilts make me happy. There is a texture to them you can’t get any other way. Obviously, this is very color controlled, but there are at least 50 fabrics represented in this small piece.
Barbara did a wonderful job on the quilting. I love the overall flower/stem design she selected.
It all started as a few scraps of fairy fabric. Too large to throw away, too small to make a quilt…or was it???
Finished it still isn’t very large, but enough for a baby or toddler room or as a decorative throw. AND, it has a pillow to match.
Again, no pattern for this one. It was build-as-I-go and try for inspiration. The inspiration came and I really like most everything about the finished product. Did you notice the checked binding? That is the backing fabric, too.
It is scheduled for donation to a local charity fundraiser. In the past my quilts have done very well and I hope this will raise a considerable amount of money for a worthy cause.
Today is MLK Day in the US and a day off of school. It was declared a “get things done” day by Husband and he and I each tackled a project.
He cleaned and organized a section of the basement. No pictures of this, but he feels very successful and I am happy, too.
I got to sew.
I tackled another of the WIP’s: Barn Quilt. This project came to me in a hand-me-down pile of fabric. My first realization was that I have no idea why I called it “barn quilt.” It has houses on it, not barns. The second realization was that is didn’t need much.
The top is now as finished as it is going to be and I have a prepared back and binding. Finished size will be about 45″ x 60″. A small throw, but not too bad.
Again, there is a pillow to go with it. You might notice that there is very little of the red from the top. That is because there wasn’t much left–barely enough for the binding. I dug through scraps and found similar reds and just mixed them in and pretended that was what was intended all along. It adds a little texture and is a successful illusion, I hope.
It just needs quilting and will be ready for donation. The school holds a fundraiser in the spring and I might put this with the auction. Alternately, it will be a second quilt set for the women’s shelter.
Two projects (mostly) off my list already–I am back in business!