The blocks finish at 10″ and it only takes 48 to make a nice size (60″ x 80″) quilt. Perfect for a large, cuddly throw, a Quilt of Valor, or a twin size quilt.
Jennifer, who donated her quilting time, used an overall flower pattern with multi-color thread. LOVE IT!
We have another finished top waiting to be quilted, and more blocks in the works. To celebrate the season of giving, I am joining Susan in committing to make a block a day to #LightTheWorld. The Welcome Home block tutorial will be posted tomorrow. Won’t you join us? You can make blocks for your own charitable quilt, or send finished blocks my way to add to the ones I am making for a project with love from many hearts and hands. Let me know if you would like to do that.
Such a scrappy happy quilt! It will surely bring warmth and a smile wherever it goes.
It was a big push to finish before I start Teacher Work Days. Once school starts intense projects are much harder.
This quilt was made for JoAnne by her mother Florence about 1976. You can tell that Florence was resourceful. She used the fabric she had.
Every block needed some repair, and that was how I approached it: One block at a time. You can read more about some specific repair techniques HERE and HERE.
Since the one-block-at-a-time system seemed to be working so well, I quilted it the same way–A meander-stipple around the birds in each block. My freehand quilting is not great, but it disappears into most of the fabrics and, hopefully, no one will look at the back too much.
Speaking of the back, it is a white piece of wide-back flannel (prewashed) that I hope will mimic the feel of the fleece when it was new and stabilize the overall structure of the quilt.
The wide binding was not in good shape, but couldn’t be removed without danger, so I put a narrower binding over it. The wavy nature of the quilt made it hard to achieve a uniform look, but I hope the original binding peeking out preserves both the quilt and the memories.
So, it is complete and should be back to its owner within a week.
Here are before-during-after shots. What an interesting experience this has been.
The entire quilt was a bit of doozy…30 of 30 blocks needing help.
For insight on how I fixed blocks with ruined backgrounds, see HERE.
Today I am sharing one way to fix a damaged applique. I am not pretending this is a great way, but this block needed two different techniques. So it seemed a good example.
A previous repair had stitched netting over the damaged fabric. I suspect much of the damage on this block, and a number of other places on the quilt, was due to a combination of different shrinkage after washing and very light quilting.
So I removed the netting and cleaned up the frayed fabric so I could see what was going on.
The small frayed area at the bottom could be sort of darned using matching threads. the larger torn area needed matching fabric.
I stitched the bottom area first (no good picture, sorry) and then a line on the matching fabric right where the stripe color changed. Fortunately, not in the way of the eye.
You can see the darning repair in this picture. Once I attached the matching fabric I pressed it open and trimmed it just outside the zigzag edge. Then I turned in under and stitched it down like turned edge applique.
And finished it off with a matching zig-zag stitch as close to the original as I could. Whew! From a distance and on a galloping horse, it doesn’t look too bad.