The entire quilt was a bit of doozy…30 of 30 blocks needing help.
For insight on how I fixed blocks with ruined backgrounds, see HERE.
Today I am sharing one way to fix a damaged applique. I am not pretending this is a great way, but this block needed two different techniques. So it seemed a good example.
A previous repair had stitched netting over the damaged fabric. I suspect much of the damage on this block, and a number of other places on the quilt, was due to a combination of different shrinkage after washing and very light quilting.
So I removed the netting and cleaned up the frayed fabric so I could see what was going on.
The small frayed area at the bottom could be sort of darned using matching threads. the larger torn area needed matching fabric.
I stitched the bottom area first (no good picture, sorry) and then a line on the matching fabric right where the stripe color changed. Fortunately, not in the way of the eye.
You can see the darning repair in this picture. Once I attached the matching fabric I pressed it open and trimmed it just outside the zigzag edge. Then I turned in under and stitched it down like turned edge applique.
And finished it off with a matching zig-zag stitch as close to the original as I could. Whew! From a distance and on a galloping horse, it doesn’t look too bad.