I saved the idea a long time ago. The movement of the floating blocks really caught my eye.
But I didn’t know how funky and cool it would look finished. Yes, it is different, but different is good.
The “cracked” quilting is just what I wanted and makes even the large background spaces interesting. I plan to gift the quilt to a teacher friend.
PS–For your information, I used 2-1/2″ half square triangle pieces. The individual blocks finish at 8″. The entire quilt is 56″ x 72″.
This is the third Welcome Home top finished for donation.
They are quick and each–all 2-1/2″ strips and only 48 blocks. You can get all the details HERE: TUTORIAL: Welcome Home Quilt Block – Wedding Dress Blue (wordpress.com)
I like the scrappy happy look, but it is easy to see a more controlled color scheme could be used for wedding quilts, quilts of valor or just about any occasion.
Pushing towards a finish soon.
Some of all of those half square triangles are now in a finished top.
I found a great starting point HERE: Joannes Designs Week52 (all-about-quilts.com)
Obviously I changed the solid color squares to half-square triangle blocks. I also sized the blocks up to 8″ so the top finishes as a nice size throw (56″ x 72″).
It went together quickly. It is a little quirky with the very traditional color scheme and the wild layout, but I do like it. It would be a fun quilt to show off free motion quilting.
I hope to have a completed project soon. In the meantime, I am still plotting/pondering on what to do with the almost 500 half square triangles that remain…Someone put a lot of work into them. And I am grateful.
The half square triangles are turning (at least some of them) into a quilt.
The blocks are ready. And assembly is started.
I hope to have a finished throw by the end of the weekend.
ps–My blocks finish at 8″. The throw will be 56″ x 72″.
A section of my shelving is devoted to Potential Projects. Most often these come as groups of scraps in hand-me-down bags, or even partially finished projects.
And I have a lot of them.
So many, in fact, that I am going to take one bag or pile each month and decide to either make it into a project, or put the fabric back into regular circulation, or even just get rid of it.
This is the first pile.
And this is the first idea of what to do with it. Hmm…should be interesting.
When I found out that my best-friend-since-4th-grade’s daughter was getting married, there had to be a quilt.
And the daughter likes black and white.
And I had scraps.
The blocks came together very quickly: 2 2-1/2″ squares, 2 2-1/2 x 4-1/2″ strips, 1 2-1/2 x 6-1/2″ strip. Ta-dah! This quilt used 108 blocks and finishes at 54″ x 72″.
It will be mailed next week.
Sometimes people will ask how I get so much done. Until recently I would have answered that I just work on a quilt until it’s done.
But, as I have paid attention to the question and my work habits, it turns out that I almost never work on one quilt at a time. The truth is more like THREE (or–shhhh–even FOUR).
Each project is in a different phase, allowing me to work everyday on SOMETHING, depending on my mood.
Any progress is progress, right? And it adds up to a lot of quilts in the end.
I would really like a marathon Friday Night Sew In, but even with only one or two hours Friday night and a little on Saturday morning, things do get done.
Some cutting and stitching on my version of North Star State Quilt.
And the binding finished on a small donation quilt. The top is made from a charm pack that came in a hand-me-down bag a while back.
Looking forward to June already.
The quilt has returned from the quilter.
Time to make and attach binding.
The suspense builds…
I started my version of North Star State.
There are so many small pieces of 1930s reproductions in my stash and I had been looking for just the right project.
Because much of my fabric is small scraps, I am making the blocks 1/2 size. It will take a lot of them, but I am not in a hurry.