New Machine From Great Grandma

The Pfaff 130 went to Washington state to live with Sparkle Jane. But, I do have backup. This machine belonged to my direct maternal Great Grandmother near the end of her life.

It hasn’t been used much. With a good clean and oil and she is as good as new. Dressmakers were made by Janome in the 50s and 60s, which is likely the era of this machine.

The corner is a little dark, so I found a thrift store lamp. The supply tray attached to the base is wonderful for tools and accessories.

I even made a little pincushion out of a spool and some wool batting scraps.

I made the wallhanging quilt several years ago. The tutorial is HERE. So happy to have another spot in the sewing room neat and cosy.

Call For Second Chances

***THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE. FUTURE SECOND CHANCE QUILTS WILL BE SHARED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE–I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I AM READY FOR MORE***

Do you have some guilt lying around? Maybe something you picked up at a guild meeting with good intentions but haven’t quite got to it? Something you inherited? Something you started and fell out of love with?

Have I got a deal for you!

I am looking for a few projects to work on as Second Chance quilts. I will complete them (in some way…) and feature them here on my blog as well as with the Online Quilt Magazine (where I write a regular feature).

Afterwards they will be donated to charity. If you are interested, leave a comment here or email me and we can talk it over. Thank you for your help and support, as always.

Second Chance Quilt: Whoops? to Wow!

Sometimes you have a good idea that doesn’t quite work out. But, it did require effort and fabric and time…you hate to throw it away.

I was fortunate enough to inherit some such items. It appears the original maker was working towards a wonky coin quilt of some kind. Foundation pieced. But a little odd…

First I squared them up and trimmed to a standard size: 5-1/2″ x 46″.

It felt like a border would both make them more stable and give definition. Added 1-1/2″ strip all the way around. Now they are 7-1/2″ x 48″.

Then, because the piecing was already a little wonky, I added strips top and bottom to give that movement to the entire quilt. I started with background fabric cut into pieces 7-1/2″ x 13″. I then cut those into pairs: 3″ and 10″, 5″ and 8″, 7″ and 6″, 9″ and 4″, 11″ and 2″. These were added to the top and bottom of each coin strip. (Only four strips shown in this picture, sorry) That brought the total length of each strip to 60″. Finally, I added pieces 3″x60″ to the sides and between each coin strip. The size was selected by using half the width of the coin section finished (5″ finished /2 = 2-1/2″. Then add the seam allowance of 1/2″.) TIP: When adding components, consider using fractions or multiples of a chosen “base” component. The final result tends to be more balanced and finished feeling.

Total finished size 50″ x 60″.

Quilt and bind.

And a surprise backing–that panel that I didn’t know what else to do with.

Consider how this might work for you on a future quilt. It is fun to take great-ideas-that-didn’t-quite-work and treat them as raw materials. They can be the start (foundation) of a successful quilt.

2021 Spool Count

For several years I have kept and counted my empty spools at the end of the year. Silly? Maybe, but the art teacher enjoys them, and I enjoy the counting.

The total for 2021 isĀ 23, again. How have I done that three times?

Here are past years for comparison:

2020: 48

2019: 23

2018: 23

2017: 36

2016: 40

2015: 103 (the year of partial spools and the 52 in 2015 project)

Final Countdown: Task Three

How to wrap up the year? With the Final Countdown, of course.

Task Three is to Organize One Area Of Your Sewing Space.

Well, that means it is time to stop procrastinating that task.

I have for a long time had color-sorted bins for small scraps. And those bins are on a shelf.

But those bins look something like this.

It was time to give them a sort and fold.

It turns out that fabric neatly organized takes less space than fabric wadded up. I am not ready to do the other seven bins right now, but I will as time allows. My goal is to do one every couple of weeks. That is probably realistic.

Thanks again, Shelly, for a great end to the year. Happy 2022!

Final Countdown: Task Two

The challenge continues with Shelly and her Final Countdown. Did you know she has been leading quilters to success for 13 years? Now, that is a reason to celebrate!

Anyway, task two is Pick 3 easy tasks that need doing. She said it might be a little tricky, but I came up with three.

  1. Sort the Christmas fabric. That way I will be prepared and know what I really need for those After Christmas/New Year sales.
  2. Make the binding for that quilt…A friend has a wedding coming up quickly for one of her sons. She had a UFO we were able to get to a finished top in just a day. The quilt is at the quilters now and I said I would bind it for her. I am now prepared for as soon as it comes back.
  1. Clean out that one tub. It is a bit of a catch all. I have put away the things that need put away. Put a few things in the give away pile. Generally got it in better shape. YAY!

Thank you Shelly, as always.