It was a long time coming. As I have said before, it seems so harmless to cut the block size in half to fit the sizes of my scraps, but it meant it took a lot of pieces to get anywhere. Should you want to try the pattern for yourself, you can get the (full size) information HERE.
That said, I am really happy with the results.
Scrappy happiness, mostly reproduction prints, but a few authentic pieces thrown in.
The yellow binding works with with the stars to give some unity and rhythm in the scrappiness.
It is a gift and already delivered. She cried. We’ll take that as a good thing.
There were days I thought it would never end. When I saw Pat Speth’s North Star State Quiltalong I immediately knew I wanted to stitch along. But I also knew that the small scraps of 1930s repro (and some original) fabric that I had on hand would mean making the pieces smaller…much smaller. Yep, that star is 3″.
But, off I went, sure it was all going to be ok.
As I stitched, my ambitions had to be adjusted. NO, I wasn’t going to make a queen size quilt. Not even with borders. I finally decided that enough was enough and finished a throw quilt. It has 56 blocks, 97 setting blocks and 42 star cornerstone blocks, and it is only 60″ x 69″.
But, it is complete.
Hopefully quilted soon and a truly finished quilt.
I do still recommend the pattern, but maybe have the good judgement to follow Pat’s original recipe.