SunBonnet Sue

Years ago I received a lovely piece of stitchery in a scrap bag. It is done on authentic feedsack material. You can see where the stitches were picked out and some printing on the back.

I didn’t know what to do with it.

I shared it on the blog HERE, and a lovely reader created a pattern for those who might be interested.

But the original languished. I set a goal do something with her in 2021. She has probably waited around 80 years for this moment.

The first thing was to wash. Gently. By hand.

That went fairly well. She didn’t fade or run. She had been in a smoking home at some point in the past, and the yellow-brown water than came out was yucky enough I didn’t show that step.

I inquired at a frame shop but wasn’t thrilled with the options they offered. Both very expensive and I wasn’t confident they knew how to handle fragile textile and honor the original maker. I didn’t want it perfect, I wanted to see the work.

So, I took Sue to a thrift store and found a frame that pleased me. Then purchased some black foam board.

I stitched Sue to the foam board from the back using fairly small stitches. Total cost: $7.

The final results are all I hoped for.

Small Someday #7: Orphan Blocks

In a bag of hand-me-down fabric there were these 7 blocks.  Hmmmm….similar color scheme…all 8″ blocks…Surely there is a quilted object in there somewhere?!

DSC01190

One obvious choice would have been potholders, but I didn’t want to make those.

Then, at a garage sale, these were in the FREE pile. Just two of them and nothing else.

DSC01191

Hmmmm…similar color scheme…12″ blocks…that will give me NINE total…I might have something here.
DSC01193

I switched out the blue 9-patch centers in the new blocks for red to help things start to blend together.

DSC01196

Currently experimenting with color, layout, and borders.

I can tell already that the piecing will not be perfect, because the blocks aren’t.  But I might be able to make something pretty that will keep someone warm.  And, I might learn a little something and gain experience in the meantime.

It could be worse.

It Is Leftovers, But That Doesn’t Mean It Tastes Bad

Longtime readers might remember that the Calico Rose quilt was a design that went through several iterations.  Initially it was all star blocks, but, once the blocks were all finished, it was…boring.

Later the alternating blocks and pieced border were created and I loved the final product, but I still had all those leftover star blocks.  Seventeen of them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After looking at all sorts of options, I settled on an on-point layout with sashing.  My little clearance fabric shopping trip a few weeks ago got backing fabric and the setting triangles.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here is the finished top.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And the ready-to-go back.  I know the plaid doesn’t match on that seam, but there wasn’t enough fabric to match seams and it won’t be so noticeable once it is quilted.  Plus, anyone who is that concerned is already impressed or generally uncharitable (At least that is what I tell myself about my less-than-perfect work.).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It is about 55″ x 77″, enough for a throw or even a coverlet on a twin size bed.

It isn’t what I originally planned, but it is better than leaving those poor leftovers laying around to rot.  And the final “dish” is pretty tasty–for leftovers.