Currently I have two projects in progress that have alternating blocks.
First is the Sew Splendid Sampler quilt. I stitched along, sort of. Mostly I just did the pieced blocks, but I also added a few ideas of my own. I knew I wanted a quilt at least throw size and the only way seemed to be to use alternating blocks. So, the block I shared recently is my alternating idea. This is how it looks laid out with the pieced blocks.
The whole thing is a little different for me. I found myself with an abundance of 1930s reproduction fabrics and thought to use them on this quilt since it was all an experiment. I don’t hate it, but I am not as confident in this range.
Next is the Jolly Christmas Quiltalong. Again, I have mostly stitched along, but also added some outside blocks. Again, I want a larger quilt, so I used her Poinsettia Block, slightly modified, as an alternating motif. I plan to use sashing (color not determined) and gold cornerstones to extend the Irish chain effect.
I like this one more, but I am concerned that the alternating blocks are taking center stage because of their bold design.
So many of my finishes lately have been quilts I wasn’t quite sure of. That isn’t a bad thing, though. Hopefully it means I am still learning and growing as a quilter. If you never try something that makes you at least a little uncomfortable, you aren’t going anywhere new.
The Jolly Little Christmas quiltalong is coming along nicely–but I must admit that I am glad there is only one partridge in this pear tree. The smallest piece cuts at 3/4″ x 3/4″. I like small pieces as much as the next person, but that is really small.
It does make a perfect eye, though. And my partridge is in that tree. And I am feeling quite successful. And the alternate blocks are finished–all 13 of them.
Spring Break has afforded a lot more sewing time, and it has been put to good use. Back to school on Monday…but that is days from now….
In looking back through my records, it appears I started this quilt sometime in early-to-mid 2011. I have no pictures of the first iteration. It was ugly. The second idea came from Kim Brackett’s Scrap Basket Sensations book. I really liked the design, but it was still ugly. Maybe not ugly to other people, but ugly to me. How could I finish an ugly quilt?
Well, I couldn’t finish an ugly quilt, but this isn’t an ugly quilt any more.
Bright colors helped.
The perfect back helped. The quilting helped.
It’s all good and it’s all done.
ps–I am sorry to say that I cannot tell you what that perfect backing fabric is. It came in a hand-me-down box and I loved it when I first saw it, but wondered how I would ever use it. Then this quilt happened. Some things are just meant to be, I guess.
The “boy” version has scraps of green, yellow, red and brown.
The “girl” version is green, yellow, pink and purple.
It was an interesting challenge to use the same backing fabric for both and yet make them distinct.
They will be delivered by Husband to his work in the near future.
If you are worried, “Will I like scrappy, or will it just be chaotic?” consider starting with a backing fabric you love. Pick colors that stand out to you and then select pieces that match-but-not-too-closely. If you look at these quilts you will see a wide range of each color, but they do coordinate. The variety provides interest and texture only possible with scrappy fabrics. And it really does work!
In crazy American units of measure two cups make a pint, and two pints make a quart…and four quarts make a gallon. It makes sense to us, but to persons accustomed to metric measurements it can be quite a mystery. At any rate, and by any measure, I am pleased with these twin Pint Size tops. Whether they add up to a quart or not, I do hope they add up to pleased parents who have quilts to match those two cute babies.
The tops have two shared colors–yellow and green–and two different colors–one with red and brown and the other with pink and purple.
It always surprises me how different colors work together. All the colors, though, coordinate to the backing fabric.
My goal is to get the tops basted and quilted this week. One step closer to a finish and delivery.