When my friend brought me a bag of pieces she called “scraps,” she was done with this quilt. She was convinced it was ugly and never wanted to see it again.
But, after it was assembled and quilted, I didn’t agree. And I didn’t think she would still feel the same way.
So, I took it “home”–back to her house.
She was stunned.
We’ve all been there–tired, discouraged and unhappy because the quilt doesn’t look like we imagined. Sometimes, though, after some time away from it, we can get perspective and see that, while it isn’t what we imagined, it isn’t bad.
I hope this quilt will bring her happiness, once she gets used to the idea that she really made a perfectly good quilt.
I got it quilted.
There were some problems with the piecing of some of the flying geese (I suspect the stitch-trim-flip style) that put some puckers in the top, but I think they will mostly wash out. At least I hope so.
And I still love the back.
No tutorial, but small squares are cut at 2-1/2″ and the flying geese are 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″. Finished size 36-1/2″x36-1/2″.
It was years in the planning, and quite a while in the making, but it is finally done.
It is based on the Heritage Stars pattern from McCall’s quilting 2012.
The color scheme rotates around the back, Husband’s home state favorite college football team.
And, the pillows match.
He was stunned. In 20 years I have never made a quilt just for him. I tried to include a few novelty fabrics here and there that have meaning in his life, like fish.
Overall, it is a success. And Husband, that patient and long-suffering man, finally has a quilt of his own.
This is my worst picture in a long time, but it is what it is and I don’t have the desire to do it again right now.
The Heritage Stars quilt is a top. 74″ square.
Hopefully will get it quilted in the next week or so.
Opinions wanted: black binding? or gold?
No great pictures, but at least you can get the idea.
I can’t tell you how I feel about this quilt because I am not always sure. Sometimes I love it and sometimes, often when I was working on it, I referred to it as the Nervous Breakdown Quilt.
There is certainly a lot going on.
In the next few weeks I will get better pictures and the tutorial written. Promise…
Quilting four small quilts in a day last week has really boosted my finish count.
It seems there is always a few minutes here and there to get those bindings stitched down.
Cross My Heart in particular changes when the binding is added. I wasn’t sure I liked the design at first, but had to have faith in the process–“Binding will help a lot,” I told myself.
And, it did.
Tutorial coming soon, probably some time in the next week.
So, I have the starting pile of fabric and I have the basic idea.
While the fabric in my starting pile has color variety, it is all nearly the same intensity. So, I know I want to add some background fabric for contrast.
Also, the basic idea is just a starting point and I will need to resize things to make something close to my typical “small-ish” quilt size of 36″ x 36″.
As I worked I noticed that I had some pieces large enough to make “Fast” or “no waste” flying geese, but not enough for all of them. That is why you see some large squares and some smaller rectangles.
This is what is left (at this point) of the starting pile of fabric. Some tiny slivers probably too small to use and some extra larger pieces (I may have made a cutting error and will need them later). On first glance, I feel I have chosen a design that will make good use of what I have and produce little waste.
Check back later for more updates on this process of making the quilt match the fabric.