Once I started working on the jelly roll leftovers, I realized there was enough to make TWO coin style baby quilts, plus some leftover for another idea.
So, I cut all the pieces I could into strips 4-1/2″ wide.
And set the leftovers aside to be cut into 2-1/2″ squares, or sets, where possible. Smaller pieces will be cut into 2″ and 1-1/2″ squares.
Using every bit practical (NOTE: I didn’t say “every bit possible” because I have my limit, and that limit, most of the time, is 1-1/2″. Everyone needs to choose their own limit, and it can change, but having a limit keeps things from getting out of control in a way that has you keeping fabric you will never use.).
Inspired by a pattern called Sweet Dreams from McCall’s Quilting 2001, I started and finished this top in the past two weeks.
A good activity while I should be sleeping, and am not. For some reason I have been waking up about 4am nearly every day. I am not tired, and cannot lay there and feel crazy.
So I have been cutting and sewing. Fun times with the scraps.
It is about 68″ x 72″. Nice size throw.
ps–The pattern isn’t available online that I can find, but you might come across a copy of the magazine. It is the cover pattern. August 2001. Check Amazon and Etsy. I changed the borders.
These two tiny quilts were stitched in the final days of 2020.
What a nice way to end the year.
This one was out of the cutest orphan blocks I have ever seen.
This one is a top I started years ago from a quiltalong at Temecula Quilt Company. They always have cute (little) ideas available.
Glad to have them finished!
Sparkle Jane completed this beautiful quilt using batik scraps (thanks to Jennifer to held the giveaway).
She, too, enjoys quilts with a lot of different fabrics because of the interest and texture it creates.
And she made matching pillows using the cutoffs.
It is based on a pattern by Kim Brackett from one of her Scrap Basket books.
Who made these blocks and then didn’t want them?
All they needed was a little cleaning up.
And now, quilting.
It is so tiny–11″ x 21″.
Whoever it was, I am grateful.
The panel came to me in a bag of hand-me-down fabric years ago. I am not a lover of panels, but this one really wanted to be a quilt.
And now it is, a top at least.
To be quilted after the first of the year.
One of the fun things about Adoptable Quilts (a collection of leftovers, orphan blocks, and coordinating scraps) is that it probably isn’t something you would have done in the first place.
They are also low cost emotionally and financially. I like to look at them as a puzzle or challenge…There IS a quilt in here SOMEWHERE!
This is a lot of light pastels. Not my usual color run. But there is potential.
Successful adoptions generally find or make a common denominator: color, size, pattern, something.
This time there are a lot of 2-1/2″ strips (some sewn into sets and some loose), some 5″ charm squares, and a little miscellaneous scrap. So, I was looking for multiples of 4″ finished….
Using the strip sets and charm squares/scraps, I created this 8″ block.
Random-ish layout and ta-dah! A baby quilt. The finished top is a little smaller than I generally like, but I was out of pieces. 32″ square.
And, it was FUN!
ps–The leftover pieces are being cut into pieces for Welcome Home blocks or 1-1/2″ squares for my current leader-ender project. Not much goes to waste. Or back into inventory.
These two little quilts were made by a different member of Sparkle Jane’s (Daughter) charity sewing group.
But, we did the binding, using our scrappy binding bundles.
Quick and easy, and pretty good looking.
inspired these blocks.
I am liking where this is heading.
I have a bag (upper left of picture) that I have used to store batting scraps for a long time. I would, from time to time, use some of the scraps, but they definitely accumulated faster than they were used. Then, Daughter started her scrappy sewing group, and more scraps came in.
One day she declared that “It was time.”
We dumped out all the scraps and sorted them by color.
Then, assembled them into prepared binding and wrapped those around bolt boards, pinned and labeled with their length. Amazing how much more we are inclined to use them since they are organized and look so nice!
And, it is a good use of fabric! On the boards right now there is about 8065 inched of binding. That is about 672 feet, or two American football fields, with a field goal left over (224 yards). About 12.6 yards of uncut fabric. Totally worth the time to organize and put it together.