Years ago I received a lovely piece of stitchery in a scrap bag. It is done on authentic feedsack material. You can see where the stitches were picked out and some printing on the back.
I didn’t know what to do with it.
I shared it on the blog HERE, and a lovely reader created a pattern for those who might be interested.
But the original languished. I set a goal do something with her in 2021. She has probably waited around 80 years for this moment.
The first thing was to wash. Gently. By hand.
That went fairly well. She didn’t fade or run. She had been in a smoking home at some point in the past, and the yellow-brown water than came out was yucky enough I didn’t show that step.
I inquired at a frame shop but wasn’t thrilled with the options they offered. Both very expensive and I wasn’t confident they knew how to handle fragile textile and honor the original maker. I didn’t want it perfect, I wanted to see the work.
So, I took Sue to a thrift store and found a frame that pleased me. Then purchased some black foam board.
I stitched Sue to the foam board from the back using fairly small stitches. Total cost: $7.
The final results are all I hoped for.