In one of the recent house cleanouts, I found a lovely bundle of fabric–Linen and butterflies. How could I leave it? It was so very pretty I set it aside, hoping there would be enough there to make something.
This last week I got the bundle out and unrolled it. It had been cut, but the pattern pieces (not the pattern package) were still there.
A brief internet search showed me that Simplicity 5409 was this dress. Publication date 1964.
It was in a size I was certain would fit Daughter. So, nothing to do but sew it up.
Ta-dah! A lovely summer shift.
Only 51 years in the making.
We had to add some darts to better fit Daughter’s shape, but overall I think the effect is lovely.
UFO no more!
My success with handquilting the Christmas Star led me to start on this small project.
It is, again, just a little thing, about 40-inches square. It is made mostly from OLD vintage fabrics, authentic 1930’s.
I feel a little guilty when I look at it now, because I started it in 2005, relatively early in my quilting days. A neighbor was moving and had some fabric scrap she was going to throw away. I said I would take them. It was all very small pieces cut straight on one side and jagged on the other. After looking at it for the longest time I realized it was leftovers from a grandmas flower garden quilt.
Anyway, I sorted it by color and cut it into narrow strips, and, adding whatever felt right, made this little top. It has remained unfinished for five years.
I know now that I should not have mixed new fabric with the old and that I probably should have found a quilt restorer and given them the fabric since is is authentic and probably has value.
But, I didn’t, I chopped it up and made this.
I plan to hang it in my sewing space when I finish. Yes, I will enjoy it, but it will also remind me how often we are “too soon old and too late smart.”