Counting Down

I have two quilts in process at the moment, both requiring more than 100 blocks.

Only 15 to go for this one.

And about 30 for this one.

I am counting down and looking forward to the assembly process. I really want to see what they will look like and it has been a long time coming …

Digging out a Faire UFO

I don’t have a lot of UFOs. In fact, I have two.

This is one of them. I started it more than a year ago–designing blocks and playing with color.

Then…it went in the box. And under the table.

Why? I am not sure. I dug it out and am ready to go. I think part of the reason is that there are 8 different block styles and each has separate cutting directions. So, I am going to try working on one block type at a time, making as many as I think I will need of that one, and then moving on.

I call it Faire and Square. Hopefully it will soon be fair-ly finished.

Another Quick Finish

My sister-in-law is a graduate of the University of Georgia. Sort of a big deal.

And she “needed” a quilt. It is the same design as the recent “trash quilt”: rectangles 3″ x 5-1/2″.

YAY for a (last minute) finish!

ps– I stitched down the binding as we traveled to visit her and I had to take the pictures in a hotel hallway.

Second Chances Quilt: “Is It Too Late?” to “Great Update!”

The blocks arrived, warped, wrinkled and neglected. They had languished for years and been through at least two previous owners. (Maybe this should be a “Third Chances” quilt?)

But, the fabric was interesting and the hand piecing was precious. The shine of the sateen begged, “It isn’t too late for me to be beautiful.”

First step was the square up the blocks. This was a worrisome because of the hand piecing, but it was mostly just points and distorted corners. They would still hold together. The chosen size: 11-1/2″.

Once squared up there were still problems. ALL of the outside edges of the pink pieces were cut on the bias. The blocks wanted to wave and bunch in the middle even as the sides wanted to stretch. The only hope was sashing.

I went to my local quilt shop, not even knowing exactly what I was looking for…maybe something with pink, black and cream? But, then I saw it: A blue floral print from the Little Women collection by Riley Blake (While this line is fairly recent, you may or may not be able to find it. But it is worth the search.)

Initially, I thought I should put the blocks on top of the sashing as I stitched them together, believing it would be easier to watch for problems and adjust while sewing. That was not the case. I finally tried putting the sashing on top and things lined out much more smoothly. Surprising, but lesson learned.

The blocks became rows, and the rows became a top, complete with a matching outer border. It is about 1-1/2 times as wide as the sashing. I like the extension and finish it gives the top. Alas, there are still bubbles and waves. The bias refused to give up easily.

My friend Jennifer, who does the hard longarm work for me, has a trick of using high loft batting in these situations. It might seem old fashioned, but it absorbs the “excess,” which is what needs to happen.

The final result is all I hoped for. The beauty of the work of the original maker shines through. The simple back picks up the green in the floral print. And there was enough of the pink fabric that came with the blocks for the binding. Talk about lucky!

No, it wasn’t too late for those blocks.

The final size is about 55″ x 67″. A nice display piece or throw to cuddle under, and to think about the value of second (or even third) chances.

NOTE: This post also featured in the Online Quilt Magazine.

Vintage Pink

The top was a donation that came through the mail.

The fabric contains polyester and I would guess dates to the 60s or 70s. Probably not earlier, but not much later either as there are no tell-tale 80s florals.

Again, the blocks are bias and wavy, so thicker batting was needed.

And I love the dimension it gives to both the pink setting blocks and the baskets.

I am not sure what to do with it, but for now I’ll just admire the finish and thank the original maker.

I Love Me A Bargain

Saturday, Husband and I went to a few yard sales in the area. It was my bargain finding day.

TWO queen size batts at $2 each.

A total of about 20 yards of quilting fabric (including two larger pieces suitable for backings) for a total of $9.

Yep, I love me a bargain.

ps–I feel a little guilty because Husband found no good bargains, unless you count that he got to take me (and my bargains) home at the end of it all.

A Lot Going On

Well, at least there is a lot going on everywhere except in the sewing room. The last month of school is always a busy. Good busy. But very busy.

So, not a lot of sewing. But a little binding. I want to finish the green crumb quilt by the end of the week.

With summer coming on it will be nice to spend hot afternoons in my cool basement room stitching up some fun.