Kaffe Quilt Finish

I had a lot of Kaffe scraps (along with some solids) and wanted to make a very cheering quilt for a coworker.

It came together quickly. During production I tried storing the strips on a hanger, which I had not tried before, but certainly will again.

The finished size is 60×80 and uses all 2-1/2″ squares–1200 in all. Colored: 600. Background: 600 (That equals about 2-3/4 yards of each.)

This idea is easily adapted to any color scheme and is good for using all those small-but-not-too-small scraps that result from everyday quilting.

Another Cow Quilt

This is the third cow baby quilt I have made. They are so darn cute, you can’t make just one!

I make just three blocks and round the rest out with squares. A lot of visual impact without too much time. It finishes at about 36″ x 36″.

Another warm baby!

Another happy quilter!

Leftovers: First Quilt Top of the New Year

When THIS QUILT was sized down I was left with 32 extra 16-patch blocks. What to do with them?

There are plenty of 2″ squares at my place, so I made an additional eight blocks. Then, 40 4-patches with 2″ background all around.

Well, that was a quick top. Only 48″x60″, but a nice lap quilt size. And, no leftovers.

New Machine From Great Grandma

The Pfaff 130 went to Washington state to live with Sparkle Jane. But, I do have backup. This machine belonged to my direct maternal Great Grandmother near the end of her life.

It hasn’t been used much. With a good clean and oil and she is as good as new. Dressmakers were made by Janome in the 50s and 60s, which is likely the era of this machine.

The corner is a little dark, so I found a thrift store lamp. The supply tray attached to the base is wonderful for tools and accessories.

I even made a little pincushion out of a spool and some wool batting scraps.

I made the wallhanging quilt several years ago. The tutorial is HERE. So happy to have another spot in the sewing room neat and cosy.

Call For Second Chances


Do you have some guilt lying around? Maybe something you picked up at a guild meeting with good intentions but haven’t quite got to it? Something you inherited? Something you started and fell out of love with?

Have I got a deal for you!

I am looking for a few projects to work on as Second Chance quilts. I will complete them (in some way…) and feature them here on my blog as well as with the Online Quilt Magazine (where I write a regular feature).

Afterwards they will be donated to charity. If you are interested, leave a comment here or email me and we can talk it over. Thank you for your help and support, as always.

GIVEAWAY: Calling All Friends Of Flannel

***This Giveaway is now closed. Thank you to all who entered and congratulations to our winner: Sandy Clarke***

Sometimes we have to look at our fabric and ask, “When will I use this?” If I don’t know the answer, then it is time for it go to someone else.

What I have here is A LOT of beautiful flannels. They fill a size LARGE Priority Mail box, pressed down hard. And they can be yours. There are three quilt kits/fabric bundles, several fat quarters and five pieces more than a half-yard.

Just leave a comment here letting me know you would like them. The giveaway closes end of the day on Saturday, January 8. If you are able to cover the postage (US $21.90) that would be appreciated.

Good luck!

Second Chance Quilt: Whoops? to Wow!

Sometimes you have a good idea that doesn’t quite work out. But, it did require effort and fabric and time…you hate to throw it away.

I was fortunate enough to inherit some such items. It appears the original maker was working towards a wonky coin quilt of some kind. Foundation pieced. But a little odd…

First I squared them up and trimmed to a standard size: 5-1/2″ x 46″.

It felt like a border would both make them more stable and give definition. Added 1-1/2″ strip all the way around. Now they are 7-1/2″ x 48″.

Then, because the piecing was already a little wonky, I added strips top and bottom to give that movement to the entire quilt. I started with background fabric cut into pieces 7-1/2″ x 13″. I then cut those into pairs: 3″ and 10″, 5″ and 8″, 7″ and 6″, 9″ and 4″, 11″ and 2″. These were added to the top and bottom of each coin strip. (Only four strips shown in this picture, sorry) That brought the total length of each strip to 60″. Finally, I added pieces 3″x60″ to the sides and between each coin strip. The size was selected by using half the width of the coin section finished (5″ finished /2 = 2-1/2″. Then add the seam allowance of 1/2″.) TIP: When adding components, consider using fractions or multiples of a chosen “base” component. The final result tends to be more balanced and finished feeling.

Total finished size 50″ x 60″.

Quilt and bind.

And a surprise backing–that panel that I didn’t know what else to do with.

Consider how this might work for you on a future quilt. It is fun to take great-ideas-that-didn’t-quite-work and treat them as raw materials. They can be the start (foundation) of a successful quilt.