Sometimes you have a good idea that doesn’t quite work out. But, it did require effort and fabric and time…you hate to throw it away.
I was fortunate enough to inherit some such items. It appears the original maker was working towards a wonky coin quilt of some kind. Foundation pieced. But a little odd…
First I squared them up and trimmed to a standard size: 5-1/2″ x 46″.
It felt like a border would both make them more stable and give definition. Added 1-1/2″ strip all the way around. Now they are 7-1/2″ x 48″.
Then, because the piecing was already a little wonky, I added strips top and bottom to give that movement to the entire quilt. I started with background fabric cut into pieces 7-1/2″ x 13″. I then cut those into pairs: 3″ and 10″, 5″ and 8″, 7″ and 6″, 9″ and 4″, 11″ and 2″. These were added to the top and bottom of each coin strip. (Only four strips shown in this picture, sorry) That brought the total length of each strip to 60″. Finally, I added pieces 3″x60″ to the sides and between each coin strip. The size was selected by using half the width of the coin section finished (5″ finished /2 = 2-1/2″. Then add the seam allowance of 1/2″.) TIP: When adding components, consider using fractions or multiples of a chosen “base” component. The final result tends to be more balanced and finished feeling.
Total finished size 50″ x 60″.
Quilt and bind.
And a surprise backing–that panel that I didn’t know what else to do with.
Consider how this might work for you on a future quilt. It is fun to take great-ideas-that-didn’t-quite-work and treat them as raw materials. They can be the start (foundation) of a successful quilt.
First, I made all the 16 patches I thought I would need as leader enders.
Then I started the star blocks and got to a certain point and was ready to be done with it. It is 66″ x 78″, after all.
So, I stopped and finished it. Sometimes it is important to be flexible in our plans. After all, the original pattern was only 66″ x 66″. I am really pleased with it and will deliver it to its new home next week.
In the meantime, I have 32 extra blocks to put into a new project. We’ll call that a good start on the new year.
What I thought was a disappointment has turned into a lovely quilt. I call it Discovery.
DISCOVERY BABY QUILT
39-1/2″ x 39-1/2″
A good sized pile of color coordinated scraps
1/2 yard background fabric
1/3 yard binding
1-1/4 yard for backing
from the colored scraps cut a total of…
400 2″x 2″ squares (NOTE: These need to be in multiples of at least 4, 5, or 8 of each color in order to build the block pattern)
after your blocks are built, cut the background fabric as follows…
24 2″x8″ rectangles
9 2″x2″ squares
2 2-3/4″ x 35″ strips
2 2-3/4″ x 39-1/2″ strips
Arrange scrap squares to create a block as follows: 5 squares of Color A (here RED print), 8 squares of Color B (here light print), 8 squares of Color C (here GREEN print), and 4 squares of Color D (here BLUE print).
2. Assemble to create one block. UNFINISHED size should measure 8″ x 8″.
3. Repeat to create a total of 16 blocks. TIP: I made little piles of my squares sorted into blocks first so the colors would be fairly evenly distributed and each block would be unique.
4. Lay out blocks in a 4×4 pattern, balancing colors
5. Add 2″x8″ sashing between the blocks to create rows.
5. Create sashing strips for between the rows by alternating 4 2″x8″ rectangles with 2″ squares.
6. Attach strips 2-3/4″ x 35″ to sides of quilt. Attach strips 2-3/4″ x 39-1/2″ to top and bottom of quilt.